Monday, June 27, 2011

I'm 17

So my birthday was a couple of days ago. I guess I feel 17! I always thought 17-year-olds were old and wise and mature. Uhh. Maybe a few. I don't know very many and I myself am definitely not one of them. It's pretty fun to be this age, though, and very exciting. One more year of school and then I'm an adult. I feel my childhood slipping away.... in some ways anyway!

On the morning of my birthday, I lay in my bed for a while and listened to the birds singing. Then I got out of my bed and went up stairs, half asleep. My mom and sister rushed towards me and said,“Happy birthday Esther! Now go take your pajamas off and put on some jeans and a t-shirt! Hurry up!” So, dazed, I changed and they took me to the car. They said we were making three stops. We first went to the bakery where we picked up Ladysmith's very yummy cinnamon buns, then to the coffee shop, then to Transfer Beach. We sat in a beautiful little spot overlooking the water and ate our breakfast. The ocean sparkled. The sun was shining, the sky was blue. Now if that isn't a special beginning to a birthday, what is?

I am really quite nervous right now. My biology provincial exam is in two days. I tried to bribe my parents into letting me take the exam next January instead, but they wisely pointed out to me that it's not a good idea to get into that kind of habit, and it's good to just study hard and get it over with instead of procrastinating about it. Procrastinating is so easy. I hate it, since I'm very often guilty of it. It doesn't bring satisfaction but it definitely brings stress, uneasiness, guilt, and bad marks. Ahhhhhhhhhh. I plan to avoid it as much as possible in the future and in the present too, of course. Just a thought- a lot of people like to talk about fixing things in their life in the future. I don't agree with this, I think if people want to fix things, whether it be a reoccuring sin, a bad habit, etc, they need to start now. Not later. Or it's probably not going to happen. The motto “work then play” is what I want to follow in life! It makes life so much more relaxing and rewarding in my opinion. Not to say that I always follow that (ahh). But I wish I did and I'm working on it. Laziness is one of the deadly sins. Now I don't mean to say that relaxing is bad. If you think that's what I meant, you've got it all wrong. I love relaxing. Haha.

I forgot to mention that Father's Day was a little while ago. I just want to say that I have a very wonderful dad whom I love very, very much. For countless reasons such as going to rivers and swimming in the summer with me, teaching me math and sciences, playing games, teaching me soccer, disciplining me, listening to me.... however, most importantly, he is starting me off on my faith journey in a very concrete and beautiful way. He lovingly teaches and guides me as I strive to follow and love Christ with my whole heart. There is nothing a dad could do that is more important than that!

No comments:

Post a Comment